origins-of-scrp - strathallancrp

The origins of the Strathallan Community Rail Partnership

Background

COBRA (the Campaign to Open Blackford Railway-station Again) invited to Edinburgh to hear about CRPs* and ACORP.**


Scottish Government asked for tenders from rail franchises to allocate £500,000 for community activities.

Gleneagles station refurbished – good for Strathallan & Strathearn.

ACORP spoke to COBRA, Blackford Community Council, Strathearn & District Community 
Council Forum & Rotary about forming a CRP.

Public open meeting held 26th October 2014.

Steering group was formed November 2014 with representatives from local communities along the line.

Strathallan Community Rail Partnership launched December 2015.


*CRP – Community Rail Partnership
**ACORP – Association of Community Rail Partnerships

Setting up Strathallan CRP
  • Line and name designated

  • Communities include but not limited to:
    Aberuthven
    Auchterarder
    Ashfield
    Blackford
    Braco
    Bridge of Allan
    Comrie
    Crieff
    Dunblane
    Dunning
    Greenloaning
    Muthill

  • Application including Aims & Objectives for Strathallan CRP written and submitted to Scottish Government

  • Constitution drafted and accepted

Significant Historic Dates

1 July 1845
Royal Assent, following Parliamentary approval.

22 May 1848
Scottish Central Railway opens, Stirling to Perth. Stations were: Dunblane, Kinbuck, Greenloaning,​ Blackfor​d, Aucherarder, Dunning, Forteviot & Forgandenny;​ Bridge of Allan opened on 1 June. Journey time from Glasgow Queen Street to Perth was 3h 5mins.​
Trains for Perth to Glasgow used Queen Street Station from 1848 until 1869.

7 Aug 1848
Perth linked with London via Stirling, Coatbridge & Carlisle.​

14 March1856
Crieff Junction station opened​ as did the line from Crieff Junction to Crieff.​

1857
John Menzies opened kiosks at Stirling, Bridge of Allan & Perth stations.

9 Sept 1863
Inverness and Perth Junction​ Railway opened. Thus, Scottish​ Central Railway facilitated the​ connection of Inver​ness with London.​

10 August 1866
Scottish Central Railway taken over by the Caledonian Railway.

1 Jan 1870
Trains from Perth then used Glasgow Buchanan Street​ station until 7 November 1966.

1 April 1914
Crieff Junction station renamed Gleneagles in anticipation of the hotel opening​ in 1925.

9 June 1956
All intermediate stations between Dunblane & Perth closed – except for Gleneagles.

6 July 1964
Line form Gleneagles to Crieff closed​.

1 November 1965
Bridge of Allan Station closed, despite the proposals to build the new Stirling University.​

13 May 1985
New station built at Bridge of Allan.​

2014
Refurbishment of Gleneagles Station for the Ryder Cup.​

September 2014
New footbridge (with lifts) built at Dunblane station.

9 December 2018
Electrification of the line as far north as Dunblane.

Statistics


2015 - 2016

2016 - 2017

2017 - 2018

2018 - 2019

Gleneagles

66698

68730

73000

-

Dunblane

539412

519000

553000

-

Bridge of Allan

278942

271000

289000

-

Station Adopters


All three stations have been adopted by local groups in Gleneagles, Dunblane & Bridge of Alan.

Our Links


Links to follow - please feel free to contact us for more information